One foot infront of the other

Created by
SpamWingDuck
on Friday, 14-Jul-2023 18:27:31 UTC

Character avatar

Shepherd SpamWingDuck 9 months ago

One step infront of the other. Every single one closer to a destination. What destination? Shepherd could not tell anymore. She had been walking for 2 days straight, little drink or food to have, leagues less than anyother non-cape would have needed. But now she was here, Denver. A new Start....

"DPD Inquiry, Cape spotted entering Aurora westbound, multiple Ghostlike appearances Spotted surround seemingly distraught individual. Residents are to be informed of Master moving towards downtown and are to remain indoors for the near future until all clear can be given."

Shepherd mind was not racing anymore, like usually. It was becoming goo, slow, methodical. Step... Gotta find a place to sleep.

Step... 2 more days of fasting survivable

Step... Another day of water left

Step... just a short nap... NO

Step... Step... Step

Character avatar

Walker TheTwins 9 months ago

The rattling wheels of Janes's cart echoed off the uneven streets as she made her way around the city on her collections. Despite having perhaps secured a job, she still couldn't rely on that too much less it be lost and she is left with less than what she started. She was broken from her thoughts however when she heard the muffled voice come from her shopping cart, lowering her ear to pick up the specifics. Recently she had managed to find a half-broken ham radio thrown out in the alleys, and with a small amount of assistance managed to get it both working and tuned into the police frequencies. Sure it wasn't as portable as the small police radios but it had a wider range and longer charge considering the car battery it had been hooked up to.

We a deep swallow she braced herself for what was to come and ducked through an alleyway to store her cart away, turning off the radio as she did and forming her idea for a makeshift costume with a pained expression. Beneath the layers and bandages she wore a layer of deep red would roll over her features and then the rest of her body, appearing as a full red bodysuit, though perhaps made from unorthodox materials than others. As painful as it was to create however, it did the job of masking her appearance, not that she really had much to mask or hide given her circumstances but it did seem to be the way Heroes operated so she had to look the part.

Bracing herself, she would begin to push through the damage in her leg and start to run towards the area she had heard mentioned. She had little idea what she was running into, but she knew if she was going to help people and work on changing she had to go forward, to try and be a hero to make up for the sins she constantly felt but didn't know.

Arriving in the general area she looked around, trying to find the exact source that had drawn her to the area.

Character avatar

When Walker approaches the supposed location of the sighting the first thing out of place would be a mob of people, bunched up, walking along the sidewalk, writhing around a centerpoint that is mostly obscured. The people look strange, a little desaturated, and occasionally they seem to disintegrate into a thin smoke or something, just to be replaced by another body from inside the mob. The whole group seems to consist of 15 to 20 individuals.

As the group slowly meanders forwards, towards downtown, it would become more and more clear that these are not real people, more like... ghosts?

Occasionally glimpses of a dark Hoodie or a pair of horns could be seen from the middle of the group, and the overall speed of it seems to be less than 2 mph. The mob slowly noves towards Walkers position, actually keeping a bit out of her way, getting closer to the cities center.

Character avatar

Stopping her run Jane reached out for one of the first people she encountered trying to get a better idea of just what was going on, only for them to vanish in a puff of smoke, the same with the next one. "Excuse me...huh? Hello, are..." This was definitely a cape but she was confused at just what specifically was happening. Catching sight of the dark figure in the center she would attempt to work her way through towards them.

"Hello is someone there? Its ok erm...Im not sure whats going on but,....but you need to try and stop because someone reported all this....."

Character avatar

There are words. Distant. Then Closer. Suddenly there is a woman. Why is there a woman.

The ghosts suddenly disperse, and a lone girl in her teens stands infront of Walker. Downtrodden clothes, an Animal Mask over her Face and a hoodie pulled over the head. All oc her clothes look at least somewhat well cared fof even if they are a little bit dirty right now. A large sledgehammer is tied to a harness on her back.

The girl looks around for a few seconds, and three words escape her before she collapses. "FoodWaterSleep"

As she collapses her power kicks in again, but the ghosts seem less focused, just wandering out into a random direction before collapsing in on themselves.

The Ghosts seem to have a physical component to them, some of the picking up stuff, just to disperse into nothingness again.

Character avatar

Making her way to the only full physical person they could see, Jane would catch them as they fell with her good arm and lower her softly as she looked around the area again. It was fairly clear that the whole ghost thing was likely from this strange girl, though she supposed there was not really much she could say on that given her own condition. What she did know is the person needed help, and the ghosts would definitely cause a scene if they continued so her only real option was to try and get her someplace safer, as well as try and fulfil the short request she had managed to splutter out before falling to unconsciousness.

Without much more of a word, Jane managed to heave them onto her good shoulder and carry them off to her cart, intent on getting the girl to one of the more remote homeless camps to recover, along with arranging what food and water she could provide.

Character avatar

All the while Walker moves the nearly unconscious girl further spectres appear, some of them actually helping Walker to carry, some obstructing the transport, but overall most just wander aimlessly before they disperse.

Character avatar

The ghosts following did make the entire ordeal a little more difficult, not only due to how obvious they became when moving through the streets but also how they kept getting in front of the cart she was using to move the other girl. The white masses did make it difficult to see where she was going or what was in front of her, but at least the display had masked her own presence as well as caused others to leave the area.

Overall it took her nearly half an hour to get back to the nearest camp, the inhabitants either giving a somewhat uncertain look at the ghosts or giving the bottles they were drinking from a second look before shrugging and taking another drink. Jane went about pulling some items off the cart to get ready for the girl, using some loose insulation with a tarp atop it for a bed on which to lay them.

The next several hours were spent watching over the stranger, having occasionally given them sips of water mixed with some sugar packets and setting aside some food for when they awoke. Keeping track of their condition she needed to make sure they didn't take a sudden turn, a hospital may have been better but given the ghosts that might have caused issues, plus the whole medical fees if they even gave her the time of day.

Character avatar

After some time Shepherd opens their eyes. Immediately the Ghosts that spawn begin forming a defensive rings around Shepherd before she stumbles to her feet. "What the... where... who... how?"

The girl, definitely a teenager of sorts, looks around at their surroundings clocking every human person in the vicinity. "Why am I here?" There is a streesed undertone in her voice, But she still looks and sounds immensely tired.

Character avatar

Janes's attention turns as soon as she notices the change of the ghosts. spinning from her position on the floor to lean over to them, trying to stop them from standing up too fast. "E...Easy, you....you were exhausted and.... malnourished erm....I brought you to one of the camps" She rubs her hand nervously before spinning again to grab a can of food "Here...you need to maybe eat something, I tried keeping to fluids but...well...people need more" she offered it over with what looked to be a plastic spoon.

"I....well i couldn't leave you in the street....I thought someplace out the way, and....well the camps dont really judge who comes......did?...I mean im sorry if your.....if this wasnt the right place.....I just couldnt think of anywhere else...sorry"

Character avatar

With Walker stepping up Shepherd looks at her, sizing up her 'Savior'. When she realises that her opposite is homeless too she immediately relaxes visibly, switching to a much less aggressive stance. The Ghosts now seem less aggrevated, and mostly hang out around her, but not obstructing Line of Sight between the two.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to be rude. Thank you for your... Compassion. My Name is Shepherd. As you might have guessed, these things around me are my Flock." She clears her throat, seemingly having not spoken that much in quite a while.

"Thank you for your Help. Can you help me get a place to stay or something. Somewhere I will not be immediately evicted from for being a Cape?"

Character avatar

The girl with bandages smiles weakly. "I had to help, I...I couldn't let the others get there first in case...in case they might have misunderstood. Its nothing really.". Jane shifts her position again to sit back down, her leg seeming to crack at the movement.

"I think....it would be fine to stay here if you needed, II know it's not much, but it's warm and dry at least" She cast a arm out and around the semi-open camp, which in all honestly was more a large space next to the river under a bridge, various makeshift tents and barrels were arranged around, small fires and numerous people seemingly keeping to themselves or huddled in groups.

"Getting an actual apartment or anything...i mean that's harder, I know a few squatting spots indoors but that has its own issues....and to get a proper one is expensive, even if you could without references or a bank account" she lets small sigh looking down to the ground for several moments "But here...people don't really care who you are, or where you're from, they know everyone has a story and.....and they look out for each other, making most of what each person can bring as long as no one person starts too much trouble....even then it normally gets sorted peacefully"

Character avatar

"Capes don't normally end things peaceful. Capes tend to make things worse they are involved in."

Shepherd surrounded by her Spectres of different sizes, sighs deeply.

"If anyone here needs help I will try to help them as best as I can. Which is not much, but I hope you get the notion. I need to fix a few things before I can start my business here. Do you have a name?"

Character avatar

"I..might make some things worse but....i do always try to end it without conflict, or at least redirect the conflict away from others" Onto herself, she did have a tendency of making herself the punching bag to help others feel better with an outlet or just a preferred target.

Her smile widens however at the girls later sentiment "I...You can call be Jane, its what others do. "

Character avatar

"You are a cape? Huh. Then again capes tend to attract each other, just by the fact that no sensible person goes near someone who is surrounded by spooky ghosts."

She chuckles. "I actually wasn't really reffering to you, as I was not aware you are one, but If your intention is to direct the problem away from others we already have kind of common ground. My whole reason why I am here is because my existence at home would endanger my family, and I can't have that. Not again."

She shivers for a short moment. "Ever been to Atlanta?"

Character avatar

The girl winces as she realises her honesty inadvertently lets her whole secret identity thing slip so soon. Internally chastising herself she eventually relents with a sigh "Y...yeah, Though guess i really am not a good one letting that out, Its Walker if we are using cape names, either way the ghosts didn't seem dangerous and were just...wandering and lost, besides you looked bad and..." she stops in her tracks eye widening "N...not that you look like a bad guy, I meant the other...wait not like not pretty i mean...." she pauses again taking a breath and makes a strange gesture with her hand as she calms herself.

"You looked like you were not in the best of health and needed some help., and from what you have just said i guess i was right, though i..i guess its nice to have someone with a similar outlook, but i am sorry to say i...don't think I've ever been to Atlanta? I think its far away though right?"

Character avatar

"Don't be afraid to insult me by stumbling over words. I don't want any trouble, I am looking for the Protectorate. Hoping that they are willing to take on someone homeless. And I came here, to Denver, because it far enough away so random idiots are not a threat to people in my life. So unless you feel the need to be a villain, you won't have anything to fear from me."

Shepherd, even though she looked awfully tired still, had a Strong spirited demeanour.

"And yes, Atlanta is quite a ways away, and if you never were there, all the better for you. My Flock doesn't usually hurt people unless they are supposed to, but when I get tired sometimes I lose sight of what is important. Thank you again for your help with getting a place to rest for a while. I had been on foot for a few days very focused to get here and must have gone too deep into my... reserves. If I manage to get a bit more rest over the next few weeks it should get better."

Character avatar

She stops her stumbling and quickly nods but stops at the mention of the Protectorate instead going into deeper thought then confusion and finally a surprised realisation. Blinking she quickly voices up "W...Wait, That's an option?! I mean...erm...I think i know where their building is but.....I didn't know they did stuff like that, Ive been going around trying to help with things and even get a job and....." she stops hitting her head a few times in frustration before stopping with a deep sigh.

"Its....its no trouble, Its only right to help if someone needs it.....Ill do my best to try and get you what you need, It...might be better to wait until your recovered to go to the Protecterate building anyway right? First impressions and everything"

Character avatar

"I am, for now, as good as I can get. Everything else is... more complicated." She sighs, eyes tired under the Animal Skull Mask. "If you want you can come with, but I think it might suit both of us best if we go tomorrow or something. I need a burger and a pizza and a years worth of water!"

Character avatar

She listens nodding along, her mind running with the mention of the PRT with thoughts coming to mind. "I...I would like that but erm....we have water, the rest...." she turns to look over to her cart at the side "Only canned food like soups, We used up the last of the burgers we found and they don't throw the expired stuff out til Sunday"

Character avatar

Shepherd SpamWingDuck 9 months ago (edited 9 months ago)

Shepherd thinks for a few seconds and then shrugs. "In that case I will see you later."

She takes out an envelope, taking 2 100$ Bills out of it and hands them to Walker.

"Don't spend it all at once!"

She then wanders off, her ghosts lazily trailing behind her.

Character avatar

She stops looking to the bills and then back to the cape "W...Wait! Your not rested up and.....I thought you didn't have anywhere to go?" she clearly felt guilty about taking the money, hobbling after them to catch up "Didnt you not have to go to the PRT til tomorrow anyway? I...I can go get you what you asked for but...do you really....can you really be giving your money away like this? I...I don't know if i can accept it,, I barely did anything!"

Character avatar

Shepherd looks to Walker, smiling a tired smile. "No rest for the wicked. I do earn money, I just don't have a place to live." She then continues to walk away, consistently surrounded by a flock of Ghosts.

Deleted post