HELP WANTED, INQUIRE WITHIN!

Created by
The High Paigestess
on Thursday, 13-Jul-2023 15:38:32 UTC

Character avatar

Scorn The High Paigestess 9 months ago

Various flyers, posters, and one ad taken out on a radio show (You're listening to Riley and THE GUNCH at 97.7 FM!) are advertising several openings at Silver Star Towing. The text is as follows:

"Looking for work? Not afraid to get your hands dirty? Hit us up at Silver Star Towing! We can offer flexible hours, competitive wages, and the teaching of valuable skills to help you distinguish yourself in today's cutthroat market."

AVAILABLE POSITIONS:

• Receptionist
  • Driver (Requires valid Denver CDL)
  • Assistant

Call 970-308-4954 for details, or visit our office in Aurora (50 Potomac St.)

Character avatar

Walker TheTwins 9 months ago

Jane had stored her cart away with a trusted friend, well as trusted as she knew, with several cans of food to ensure it remained available when she returned. While this wasn't ideal, she couldn't very well go around answering job vacancies appearing homeless, regardless of its truth. Sure she had tried before and failed, but that didn't mean she was to give up, she had to keep trying.

She had done her best to appear somewhat presentable, with clean bandages for a change and worn clothes smelling far more of soap than whatever had soaked into the fibres over the weeks and no holes. Sure it was a hooded top and slacks but this time her shoes matched, and she did get a pair of socks. It would have made her feel better and fresh, though each movement would remind her of the truth of what lay behind the bandages, and the shooting burning sensation that came with her eternal branding.

Apparently, many years ago she had heard there were phones everyone could use in the city, though those had long since ceased to exist, either destroyed by vandals or removed entirely. This meant her job hunting was limited to in-person only, which brought her to the doors of the Silver Star company. Bracing herself and taking a deep breath, she stood there for several moments before building up the courage to enter with a flyer in hand, her one visible eye scanning for a member of the company.

Character avatar

The Silver Star towing company seemed rather derelict and squalid: it was a small brick building connected to a mechanic's garage, built on a gravel backlot and protected with an aged chain-link fence. A small impound lot/apparent scrapyard was connected to the rear of the property, and there was only one other vehicle in the small parking lot.

The closing stages of an argument seemed to be playing out as Jane entered the office: in one corner, a visibly furious woman brandishing a handbag, a young man trying to placate everyone, and an absolutely dead-eyed child just disassociating on a shitty plastic chair. In the other corner (the one behind the counter) sat an only somewhat irked woman in a mechanic's jumpsuit, her left hand on the crowbar slung across her back as though she was prepared to jump the counter and duel the pissed-off wine mom.

"As I said, you have three more weeks to scrounge up the fee before I hollow out that shitbox and sell off the good bits for scrap. I've told you five times now that my rates are the minimum allowed by the municipality of Aurora, so you can stop trying to haggle and just get out of my office."

The family leaves in a huff, not paying Jane much attention as they shuffle past. The woman (dark-red mechanic's jumpsuit with a star ironed on to her breast pocket, tall, bulky, and serious.) leans over her counter, muttering expletives under her breath before noticing Jane's presence. "How can I help you?" she states, slipping back into a smoother Customer Service mode.

Character avatar

As the conflict took place, Jane herself seemed to have glued herself to the wall not wanting to get involved though at the same time uneasy at the possibility a fight is about to break out. She silently prayed the younger man would be successful in managing the situation and was relieved it came true when the family passed away. This did however have the unconsidered outcome though of having a somewhat annoyed and armed mechanic with Jane as her new focus. The fact they jumped back into a friendly tone so fast, simply made Jane believe the opposite could also be true should she miss step.

"Erm...H..Hello, Um there...there was..a flyer with Help...Help wanted?" holding up a familiar flyer with a few brown and red stains across its edges, a shaking finger gesturing towards the assistant line. Sure there had already been a few red flags but she really shouldn't jump to conclusions over a chance bad encounter, and besides she really did need a job so regardless she had to keep trying on her side.

Character avatar

Ah, finally her ad campaign was bearing some fruit. Sure, this fruit was a tiny burn victim with a shaking voice and a nervous demeanor, but these positions just needed bodies right now.

The mechanic (Winona according to the name sewn on her pocket) assessed her flyer, gave Jane a once-over, and stated “An assistant position entails a good deal of manual labor: lotta lifting, twisting, and bending involved with scrapping cars and fetching tools. You might be a better fit behind a desk, given your whole deal.”, her recitation sounding like something she had to say to remain ADA-compliant.

Character avatar

The smaller girl gives a faint nod as she could feel Winona's eyes travelling over her, getting the familiar judging sensation that caused her mind to go into overdrive and overthink the potential thoughts running through the other's mind. Naturally, this did cause more than a slight increase in her anxiety levels, but with a quick breath, she did her best to compose herself once more.

"I...i don't really...know how to use computers and....paperwork is..." She rubs a red-stained hand in thought trying to come up with the right words to explain but failing, leading to her changing the topic "I don't think I would be the best at dealing with people head on, but....I....I am fine with manual labour, I dont get tired easy and...and....Im not as fragile as i look" her speech quickening though her final words did seem to be her collecting her resolve with the firmness in which they were spoken.

"I..Im sure i can..I can do it and i would make sure you wouldnt....wouldnt reject giving me the opportunity!"

Character avatar

“You sure? Receptionists make higher wages and get dental after six months.” the mechanic asked, raising her eyebrow.

“Look kid, I’ll level with ya: we’re both pretty fukken desperate. You didn’t come here with a resume, and I’ve been trying to run this place without having any other staff for the past week or so. I need someone that can answer calls, calculate rates, and terrify the louts that walk into my office, and you seem to be good enough at two of those. That and there’s not exactly any competition for the role so far.”

Character avatar

She considers it for a moment before giving a firm nod "I....I suppose. Im...just not really good with conflict" her eye goes over to the crowbar the woman had been holding. "I can do my best though, I don't...I guess i don't really need dental...." she pauses remembering something with a wince "Is the position....cash in hand? I don't think...I don't have a bank account, or current address....or.." a social security number, ID, work shoes the list would go on but she would refrain from mentioning all that "I can...erm even work off the books if that helps."

Character avatar

"Don't worry, you'll learn how to handle conflict well enough. It shouldn't ever get physical with customers: I look too fukken beefy to trifle with and nobody would jump the counter to deck a young lady covered in bandages. It's the cruelty of kicking a puppy mixed with the social faux pas of getting in a fistfight with your waitress."

Winona looks a lil perturbed at the explanation of the kid's circumstances, looking over her again with a slightly more piercing eye. "I mean, it can be cash-in-hand if ya need it.... Listen, I don't really want to pry but I'm just going to ask one question: Can I legally on-the-books hire you? Like I don't really care if there's a felony warrant for your arrest or anything, I just don't wanna be arrested for aiding-and-abetting."

Character avatar

Raising her unbandaged hand to her chin, she thinks over the woman's words. What she said did make sense, though it did feel a little manipulative and there was also the verbal confrontations that made her uneasy. Maybe it would help though with learning conflict resolution as Winona said? It would give her experience in that field that was definitely useful in her other work, and she did really need a job so she couldn't really say no to something now it was finally on the table.

She was broken from her thoughts by the woman's gaze narrowing on her at her admission, her eye widening as she quickly waves her hands in front of her "N...No! I haven't broken any laws....that I know of erm, I mean...Its just i dont have any real documentation that a few want" she takes another deep breath, turning away as she proceeds to fidgit with her hands.

"I...tried the whole opening a bank account part but they kicked me out since.,...i didn't have any of the information they wanted. I found someone who said they could get me a ID and SS Number but....I didnt have the money for that."

Character avatar

"Okay, so I'm pretty sure I can't officially hire anyone without an ID or SSN. Might need to check Colorado employment law to be certain, but for now it'll have to be under-the-table employment." Winona explains, seeming a bit relieved. "If you need a fake ID and Social Security card, I know a guy that could help for probably less money than a forger. Maybe. I'll get back to you."

"Anywho, let's get a somewhat proper interview started. Name, age, and past work experience?" the mechanic asks, getting a pen and a stack of post-its.

Character avatar

Nodding in agreement, it seemed they had been ok at least with some of her circumstances, moving over to get one of the plastic chairs and pull it closer to sit as she began her questions. The questions though did not get off to a good start with the girl seeming having to think intensely before relenting and giving each answer "I...erm they called me Jane Doe, I...I think im around 18 maybe?....I...Im not sure what I did before but maybe something to do with Trauma...response? Maybe sewing since im ok with those, I....i can tend to find stuff thats needed and know if its working or can be fixed.....oh right i guess i can cook a little too? so maybe i did something like that?" Her eye is darting from side to side as she tries to thinking of how to answer before stopping with a sigh "I really am sorry, I...My memory isnt.....isnt that good." More non-existent outside the odd flash but the whole waking up a few months ago with no memory wasnt really something she could just come out and say.

Character avatar

Nona looked extremely perturbed as she jotted down a few notes (18-19? Jane Doe? Little relevant work experience. The word 'CTE?' is underlined three times.)

"Okay, we can work with this." Winona stated, trying to convince herself. "You mentioned doing some repair work: what kind? What sort of appliance do you think you specialize in?"

Character avatar

Ok that went better than she thought, though the look of Nona's face wasn't exactly giving a positive expression. She knew it she said something wrong, she should have been able to answer this stuff but she couldn't, Stupid, Stupid. Taking another deep breath she tries to focus, at least the next question was stuff she knew about "Erm Small appliances mostly? There were a few at one of the camps that showed me, Radios, a Microwave, a TV, Hotplates....erm, there was a washing machine once? It took a while to get it hooked up to a pump for the water barrel and its hard to run so it wasn't used too much..."

Character avatar

"Alright, so a hobbyist's background knowledge of electrical and mechanical engineering, at the very least. That likely entailed either fucking around with machines in your youth or taking a few classes at a trade school, if either jogs your memory." Winona lays out, trying to piece this tiny weirdo's life together and mostly failing. "I'm assuming you don't have any means of personal transport. Do you have a bus pass or would your commute mostly be walking?"

Character avatar

She tries to think at the mention of schools and hobbies, a faint glimpse of some sort of clock with several wires and other assorted tools around a bench appears as a flash before it vanishes, the more she tries to grasp it the more it escapes her hand like holding water. "Maybe a Hobby, though a lot of that was learned recently. I would find stuff that could be used and take it back to some of the camps. Erm....as for transport, I walk to most places, if im lucky i can sometimes hop on the back of a bus if im quick to get me some places since they....are not really wanting someone like me to ride, Ive used the train too soemtimes..."

Character avatar

Scorn The High Paigestess 9 months ago (edited 9 months ago)

"I can spot you bus fare. What could it be, ten dollars?" Winona idly suggested, having never ridden a bus in her life. "Anyways, there's a stop two blocks away. It's not ideal, but it's better than walking."

"It's good that you're actively developing a hobby into a skill. Fixing tangibles is far more rewarding than fixing intangibles." Nona praised.

Character avatar

The girl gave a somewhat confused expression "Oh I mean, I...I can just find a place to sleep closer, you really don't need to go out of the way with bus fare...." Not that many would let her ride, anyway there were a few sheltered alleys and lots she could setup in she noticed on her way here. Her confusion only deepened at the latter phrase "Tangibles and Intangibles? I...I mean its mostly been just making the most of what...what people could find. There are lots of things just thrown away that...well i mean a clean and reconnecting the right wires just fixes...By Intangible do you mean like....problems people have? I have....tried that sometimes but,....it doesn't always go well"

That would also not be the full truth, or perhaps simply understating it. Trying to talk some conflicts down did result in a empty bottle being thrown and her pushed to the ground a few times, though it did perhaps stop the issue still, if only through a new source of ire instead of whatever brought the others to fight. Then there was her attempts at hero work, which so far had been more lost pets and charity work than anything.

Character avatar

"You know. Intangibles like one's relationship with their family, office culture, climate change, and federal government overreach. I can tell when the car I'm working on is fixed when the car starts running again. When one tries to fix something intangible or theoretical, they can never really tell if what they're doing is actually working or when the problem is solved." Winona explains. "That and you can sell the shit you fix out of the trunk of a running car or at a street corner. Got my car stereo for like twenty bucks from one of those guys."

"Anyways, you sure about the bus thing? Don't want you to have to uproot your life for a job."

Character avatar

Her face did show understanding as the woman explained to her, and it made a good deal of sense. She did try to fix both but it was likely why she hardly seemed to get the intangibles right, saying the wrong thing and despite trying hard it barely ever worked, but she kept trying because it was worth it for the times it did.

"I think i understand, I really haven't sold anything before....." not that she had much to sell, and what she did she was more likely to just give it to someone else in need instead "But its....not really uprooting, Im....not really rooted" and i don't have much of a life to uproot even if she was.

Character avatar

"I know you don't really have stuff, more meant that you currently live and sleep somewhere you're familiar with. Moving closer to this place would probably rob you of that, and this neighborhood is kinda barren." Winona countered, crossing her arms. "Anyways, there's always a market for secondhand electronics and appliances, if you can get to a pawn shop or somethin."

Character avatar

"Then i guess i could, Ive gotten used to moving around though" she goes to give the other words some more thought. As much as she did need money, she had a terrible time not using it for others and actually spending it on herself. Pawning stuff did seem like an option, but she did enjoy fixing something to give to another who she could see using it and appreciate it, having it just sit on a shelf and then those who need it having to pay five times or more than what she had got for it? That didn't feel nearly as comforting.

"I guess i could add, figuring stuff out if i have enough time to the list, fixing tangibles at least, The other side to selling though is....well a lot of places assume its stolen, and those who would take it anyway are.....not the best people doing it for good reasons"

Character avatar

“Oh pshaw, you can’t get all ethical about work. All the morally sound ways to make money are either being outcompeted by another company or so thoroughly dominated by One Guy that they might as well be nationalized.” Winona states with extreme bitterness. “It’s simple if you let it be: Keynesian economic models mean that you need money to legally exist, money can be most efficiently attained through ethically dubious ways, therefore it is best to attain as much capital as possible to safeguard your continued existence. It’s rude to impound and ransom people’s cars for a living, but it pays my bills well enough.”

Character avatar

She turns away as Winona talks about the morals of economics, she could hear in their tone that she wasn't a fan of the concept but had accepted it as a truth of the world. The thing was, it wasn't something that she could truly agree with, though perhaps that was just Janes wish to live in a fantasy of a world rather than accept its reality since if she did, she would need to fully accept a whole host of other issues. Still it would be rude to come out and say Winona was wrong, especially when that wasn't something she was entirely sure of, so for now she should probably just agree with her.

"I...I suppose that is a truth, maybe once I have enough to ensure my existence then i might be better timed to think about doing it for others. I have..maybe gotten too used to existing without much."

Character avatar

“Yeah, there’s no value in being low-maintenance unless you’re a potted plant on some poor fucker’s desk. Invest in yourself, you deserve nice things.” she states, hopefully managing to convince that tiny waif.

“Anyways, we’ve got your commute sorted, your lack of records sorted, your work experience sorted, what else is there…” Winona trails off, scribbling deets down on post-its. “Oh, right. Given that you don’t legally exist, the Silver Star Towing Company cannot provide you with health insurance. I’d advise you to get those papers sorted out as soon as possible. If something Fucked happens between now and then, we’ll figure out how to deal with it. “

Character avatar

She slowly nodded. but someone like her who was put in a state like she was, likely deserved it. Sure she couldn't recall why, but the ever-present feeling of guilt in the pit of her stomach convinced her it had to be true. Bad things didn't happen to good people with such frequency, so whatever she had been before they awoke in the city must have been truly horrid.

"Thank...Thank you again, I really am sorry for all the trouble. I will try my best...to get the stuff sorted." She did however remain seated as she really didn't know how a interview that actually went somewhat well was supposed to end. Did she say something? Shake her hand?, It was a first so she really was lost. So she just sat for now fidgeting with her fingers gripping the side of her chair uncomfortably.

Character avatar

Winona had finished scribbling down the meager employment details of her potential hire, and finally got out of her creaky office chair behind the counter.

"Don't worry about it." she dismissed, before placing another sticky note with her cell number on the desk. "Plan is to have you start next Wednesday, will figure out a schedule once we get settled. Call me if anything particularly Fucked comes up, though in the absence of any communication I will assume that you are still planning to show."

Character avatar

The girl nods as she reaches to take the number staring at it. The question was just how would she be call if something did? Its not like she had a cellphone, and those payphone things she had heard about were either long broken relics or a small silhouette with patches of discoloured cement. She could perhaps ask someone to borrow theirs, but with how close many kept there own phones she doubted they would be likely to help on that front. She had to only hope nothing came up then she concluded, after all she shouldn't throw this chance away. She was turning to leave and at the door before a final question came to her

"I...I will. Do i...need to try and find anything to bring? or.....erm, Do i just come on the day?"

Character avatar

"Just come in on the day, shouldn't need to bring anything special beyond a water bottle." Winona replies, kinda waving her off. "I'll order uniforms once I finish interviewing the rest of my applicants."