Now You See Me, Now You Don’t

Created by
Oryx the Mad
on Thursday, 26-Oct-2023 00:47:38 UTC

Character avatar

Badger Oryx the Mad 6 months ago

Jan is walking around, taking in the sights of Denver. It’s a far cry from the towns and cities she’s been in so far, that’s for sure. And the large amount of people in the area walking on concrete and asphalt gives her a lot to work with in what she’s long since named her ‘tremorsense’. She knows it doesn’t work like that very much, but she may as well call it that. Might help throw people off.

She drops into a nice-looking shawarma shop to get a bite to eat, and it isn’t long before she’s walking around the streets again, munching on her meal. Until all of a sudden, she stops, taken aback by what she felt.

Someone just… walking around, their dimensions wildly shifting at a frantic pace. Before they blink out of existence. And the weirdest part is, she can feel that absence keenly in that sixth sense of hers. An absence of pressure where there would at least be air and gravity pressing down. But no, a person-shaped nothingness moves around, a gap in her senses.

She has to know what this is.

She drops her duffel bag and starts rifling through it, putting on body armor and her standard jumpsuit over her clothing in record time, finishing it off with her signature mask made in the visage of her namesake. Throw in switching out her shoes for rugged boots and slipping on mechanic’s gloves, and suddenly, she isn’t Jan anymore. She’s Badger, and she’s ready to fuck shit up if she’s gotta.

Identities changed, she grabs the duffel bag and zips it back up, before hoofing it towards the blank spot in her senses.

Character avatar

Fable Khanakin 6 months ago

As Badger makes her way closer to the strange blank spot in her senses. She would feel the blank spot in her senses pauses in its actions, almost as if it's aware of her presence. The pause is unsettling, but when the blank spot started to move towards her general location it would be alarming to anyone else. The blank spot was in no rush at all, almosy like it was taking a casual stroll.

Amid the silence and tension, a whistling sound suddenly reaches Jan's ears. Calling it a whistle was highly generous, a whistle had a pitch and a musical touch to it, this one held none of those as if it barely existed. The whistle was nothing maintain the illusion of being something at the same time perfectly, one could call it haunting. It seems close, but it also appears to be getting fainter as she approaches the blank spot.

Finally, as she gets within reach of the blank spot, seemingly right in front of it. A voice speaks, it's a voice like no other, devoid of tone, pitch, or any distinguishing characteristics. It's neither male nor female; it's simply a voice.

"Weird, for a moment there I thought my power was utterly failing me but nope, still works perfectly. Well, not perfect evidently...you were able to find me after all. You're clearly a thinker but what kind? Not an empath, precog, or clairvoyant but perhaps..."

The blank spot remains there pondering, the voice of nothing carried no echo in the alleyways. The blank spot was standing therez but it was extremely challenging to unravel its shape or anything on its appearance.

It was like the wind itself had become a controversialist.

Character avatar

She’s a bit taken aback by the weird whistling noise, but when the literally indescribable voice pops up, she knows she’s in the right spot. She might not know where exactly this person is, but she can guaran-fucking-tee that Sneaky isn’t going anywhere.

In a casual display of her power, she raises one of her hands and clenches it into a fist as a superfluous movement, needlessly telegraphing a few very thick slabs of concrete and asphalt raising out of the ground eight feet tall at the openings of the alley, blocking her and the seemingly nonexistent person into the narrow space.

“Barely a Thinker at all, Sneaky,” Badger snarks, folding her arms across her chest. “Cool trick you got there, even if it doesn’t seem to quite work on me. Th’fuck’s your name?”

Because let it never be said that Badger didn’t seize opportunities when they showed up in front of her. She’d been planning on putting together a crew, a gang, a little group of louts and hooligans to go around the city causing mayhem every now and again in between having fun. She’d been doing that back in Nebraska, why not do it here? And a guy who could basically become unseeable, unknowable, that only she could know about? That was one helluva chance to hit paydirt.

Character avatar

Fable Khanakin 6 months ago

The blank spot, or "Sneaky" as Badger had aptly named it, remains shrouded in silence even as the walls of concrete and asphalt rise to imprison the narrow alley. Badger's snarky comment hangs in the air, the response from this entity that had been eluding her senses.

But Sneaky remains just that—sneaky. It doesn't show any visible signs of surprise or emotion. It evaluates Badger's ability to manipulate the surrounding earth in seconds, its form seemingly wavering in and out of existence as if toying with her perception.

In the absence of any discernible expression or reaction, It's as if conversing with a void, a puzzle she can't quite solve.

"Geokinetic, you used some form of seismic or earth sense to map me out. You followed the oddity in your senses rather than the cause, clever usage I must say." When Jan asked who it was, the voice feign an indignant scoff the first sign of emotion it had during this conversation and one could have easily missed it if not paying attention. "You don't remember me? That's fair I suppose, I haven't seen you since you were a girl, then again most of our interactions involved me watching you from the closet or from under your bed. Those were the good old days.".

After some silence, no doubt the voice was laughing at their own joke and couldnt be heard doing so.

"You may call me, Fable. I'm sure you can already tell why they call me that?"

Character avatar

At first, she visibly falters at the way her power is dissected, but she soldiers on and stands her ground. The response to her question about who Sneaky is, though, actually gets her to blink for a moment at the audacity of this person. She’s quiet just long enough for Sneaky to introduce themself - Fable - before she breaks out into boisterous laughter, throwing her head back as she laughs manically.

After a solid ten seconds of laughing, she calms down a bit, tilting her head in an amused manner before speaking up with honest-to-God fondness. “I have NEVER met anyone who had balls big enough to try lying to me so blatantly, pal. I like you. It’s a breath of fresh air, y’know?” She idly plucks a couple golf ball-sized chunks of rock from the ground and makes them orbit her hand.

“Most people are just all serious and shit around me, telling me to stop doing what I’m doing or trying to get me to work for them. Which, by the way, both don’t work. I’m me, I do what I want, and fuck anybody else who tells me otherwise. Y’know what I’m saying?”

The patch of ground she’s standing on floats up out of the ground, looking like a floating upside-down mountain, which she’s its down on as she keeps looking at Fable. “I’m Badger. You’ve probably heard of me, what with my spree across Nebraska. And I’m lookin’ to pull together a crew.”

Character avatar

Wound Khanakin 6 months ago (edited 6 months ago)

The eentity calmly and casually moves to lean against the wall of asphalt, seemingly undisturbed by Badger's boisterous laughter and the display of her powers. It listens intently, analyzing each symbol of Jan's words and reading every emotion etched on her face. It's as if this a silent observation, absorbing every nuance of Badger's personality and intentions.

After a moment of silence, the voice speaks again. It retains its emotionless quality, devoid of any discernible inflection.

"You have probably heard of me too, and if you have, tell me where you heard it from so I can beat the idiot who leaekd the info." This declaration was followed by a laugh of its own

Its voice remains neutral, a mere conduit for its words, and it continues, "A crew may be an interesting proposition and on the run. Need someone with brawn and brains."

Character avatar

She scoffs at his mention of her knowing about him already. “Doesn’t take a genius to know you’re not some kind of monster that hides under the bed or in the closet. Especially not mine, seeing as I’d probably have made friends with it. Heh. Not to mention the occasional PHO post about some weirdo going around that couldn’t possibly be there.”

“As for a crew,” she continues, “Yeah, we’ll need more people to fill it out, set up places for it. We’ll need mooks, we’ll need resources, and we’ll need territory, too. Gotta start somewhere, right? But if you happen to be interested, I’ll give you a bit of incentive. Besides, not like you’re able to hide from me and my powers - you go blabbing, and I’ll track you down and kick your ass.”

Without prompting, she suddenly brings her hands up and takes her mask off, showing black hair and her smirk. “The name’s Jan. So who would you be, Fable?”

Character avatar

Fable Khanakin 5 months ago

Fable's disembodied voice resonates with a hint of amusement. "Connor, they call me. As for our little game of hide and seek, Jan, there's a reason I found you before you found me. But it seems our paths were destined to cross. Mutual curiosity is like that I suppose."

A subtle breeze rustles nearby, as if Fable's presence is woven into the air itself. "Your proposal of a crew and all the fixings for our venture, I'm intrigued. Incentive or not, I'm drawn to potential chaos and the dance of shadows. Count me in, Jan. Just remember, my talents lie in subtlety, not grand reveals. The unseen hand guides more effectively than the one in plain sight."

Character avatar

Badger Oryx the Mad 5 months ago

Jan looks around and ponders a bit before nodding. "Fair enough, I suppose. Though I'd appreciate a properly face-to-face meeting at some point when you're ready for it. Build a bit of trust, and all that. Just know that subtlety isn't a thing I use much unless I have to. I'm a much bigger fan of, uh... spontaneity, I think it's called? Doing stuff outta the blue and all that. Surprise people."

She grins as she strips off the body armor and jumpsuit to reveal her regular clothes, switching footwear and taking off her gloves before stowing her costume in her duffle bag. She gives one last grin towards the empty spot in her senses where Fable is. "Chaos is my jam. And chaos isn't often a thing for 'subtle'. But anyways... catch you around, Sneaky."

With that, she drops the walls of rock and goes to leave, before remembering something and turning back to him. "Uh.. don't suppose I could get your digits? Make it easier to talk, and all that shit?"