This whole superhero thing is a lot harder than it sounds.

Created by
Mothra
on Wednesday, 27-Sep-2023 08:16:51 UTC

Character avatar

Piezo Mothra 7 months ago

Another day of training and testing, as if the week had not been long enough already. What with her supervisor at work informing her she could not return to her practice for yet another week, not even to say hello to her patients that Mariee was cover for her. No, she was supposed to just sit around and 'recover' from everything, though she heavily suspected the Protectorates doctors may have had some say in it - they were too sharp for their own good in her opinion..though she supposed that was probably the best given some of the powers some people had here.

So instead, she had come to train once again, pushing the limits of her new abilities in their 'controlled' environment. Another few hours of them ever so subtly trying to push her towards combat training, a subject that held little interest for her. She was blind for heaven's sake, well technically anyway..this new sense was disturbing to say the least no matter how useful it was. Still her point remained, she was a healer, not a harmer! She was a doctor! True it was one of the mind and not the body but the principal was still the same.

So, with a sigh the woman made her way to a table she sensed was empty, having ordered a iced latte and something warm to eat after the session. Thankful she did not have to wear that 'costume' outside of the training sessions. Not that she disliked it, after all Nat had made it for her to go larping with her - but the idea of going around in public in it without the context of larp seemed..well ridiculous really - she couldn't understand how other capes managed it.

Maybe she should just concentrate on waiting for her food, rather than fussing over all this. The grey-haired woman just settling down for now in her more civilian clothing as she waited, cane tucked under the table as she kept her eyes closed, concentrating on just breathing to calm herself.

Character avatar

Refraction Dreamer 7 months ago

"Oh...Hi, you're the new one right?"

She would hear... the table suddenly not so empty after all.

The boy.. or rather teenager seems relatively calm, as he comfortably sits on his chair, soon ordering a coffee and some snacks.

Character avatar

The woman starts a little at the voice and sudden buzzing along the back of her neck, goodness this new sense of hers was hard to get used to. Though she supposed that was in part due to her avoiding using it where she could, despite the trainers pushing to practice more with it. Still, she shook her head, composing herself as she turned to the voice, a young male from the sound of it. From the sounds of things one that had been here for some time, or at least longer than her at any rate.

"Why 'ello there." She says with a small smile and trace of amusement in her heavy accent, quite obviously French as she continued. "Remind me, is it ze custom of zis place so different that one does not ask if a seat is taken before sitting hmm?"

Character avatar

"H....'ello too... nah that's just me.. i'm just rude... or maybe not good at such things... You seemed a bit lonely so... well i thought you could use some company."

"Oh... and i also just wanted to see your reaction.. been told about your power.. well some of it and of course wanted to test that."

Refraction answers, clearly amused about the thought of just suddenly being there... the equivalent to sneaking up on someone. Even if he actually just moved from one table to another. At the moment the day was mostly boring... and a bit lonely... nothing really to do. Of course there are other people he could bother, but Chuck knew there was only so much of him one could tolerant for a certain amount of time.... So, better to just checkout the newbies... who don't have the privilege of knowing him.

Character avatar

She chuckles a little at his answer, clearly at least a little amused as she shook her head again. Ah youth, so bold, so curious about others around them. It was sometimes a relief talking to them over older folk, they were so much simpler to understand most of the time.

"Well zen, I thank you for your thoughtfulness young man." She says, inclining her head, slightly curious herself about what with her power was so interesting or had been tested as of yet. "Though I am unsure what about my abilities you seem to 'ave tested so far, nor what about them that would interest you so - they are not as impressive as some I 'ave 'eard of after all."

Character avatar

"I.. mean you're blind right? Can't imagine how it would feel to suddenly get an additional sense.. while still not quite able see like everyone else does..... I always liked to watch documentaries.. its kind of mind-blowing to think about how some animals... for example bats... perceive their world."

Refraction answers, slightly leaning back into his chair.

"Besides as far as i heard you power is light based... too."

Character avatar

She chuckles and nods at his question, just gesturing to her still closed eyes with an easy smile. She could appreciate that someone actually seemed to realize gaining an entirely new sense was just plain weird, and that it took time to acclimatize to, it's not like she was ever supposed to have this kind of sense after all.

"It certainly is..'eye opening' I believe is the saying no?" She says ruefully as she takes a sip of her drink. "It is strange to be certain, I was much more..jumpy? I think is the term, when I was first bought 'ere. Felt like everyone and thing was touching me all at once, most...disconcerting."

"Light though...you also 'ave similar abilities?" She asks curiously, tiling her head to the side a little as she wondered who this was - she never really kept up much with the capes patrolling the city and such after all, it wasn't like she would ever have recognized one if she had met them in or out of costume anyway.

Character avatar

"Hehe.. eye opening.. " He chuckles a bit. "Well.. its light in the sense, that i can shoot out light beams and create hard-light copies of myself." This followed by a demonstration of doing exactly that, followed by a second, albeit completely similar voice. "Its neat right? I can almost immediately be anywhere in multiple places at once.."

Character avatar

Her head turns a little at the almost new voice, nodding in understanding before turning back roughly in the direction of who she had originally been talking to. That certainly was one way to show off one's abilities she supposed, and a rather useful one at that - a slightly envious sigh escaping at the thought of how much housework could be achieved with such things.

"Ahhh..I do not believe I 'ave 'erd of you sir, but I will say it does sound like a very handy trick to 'ave."

Character avatar

"Hmm.. that's odd.. half the city should already know about me by now... heck i think at least one is doing some public service... right at this moment..."

Refraction responds clearly amused about this, while his other self already left to do something else.

"Anyways... so... because you're new.. is there anything i could help with?"

Character avatar

She chuckles a little at his statement, shaking her head a little as she leant back into the chair. She knew only so much about capes and hero's and the entire thing this place was apparently obsessed with, no the news was not something she watched or cared to watch, she always had enough heartbreak from her patients. Though some names inevitably were mentioned from time to time she could rarely remember who did what.

"Ah - I apologize for zat sir - I am not a big follower of ze news and as such..most of you..capes no? I am not overly familiar with, besides ze one's bought up often in conversation." She explains with a shrug.

"I tend to listen to more light 'earted things then the news, but it is good to know you are doing more good zen just blasting people with your..beams? Or lasers? Light science goes over my 'ead unfortunately."

"Honestly though..do you 'ave any recommendations for lunch? I am still working out what food is good an what is..not so good at zis..cafer..teria?."

Character avatar

"No problem, its not blasting... i mean i can blast people with my light... but it doesn't work like that.. its only a vector to move around and materialize copies. Its not 'real' light... or.. how to say it...powered light..idk. To be blunt....if i blast someone... its more like throwing a person at them."

"I kind of like the sandwiches around here, are you vegetarian, vegan, do you have gluten intolerance? Because in that case it depends, personally i love their tuna sandwich."

Character avatar

She tilts her head at his explanation a little, just trying to picture the idea in her head and just utterly failing based on his description. The closest thing she could even try to imagine was someone throwing bodies at other people and she certainly hoped that was not the case.

"Zat...I suppose makes sense..though ze mental image it conjures is..strange to say ze least." She admits with a chuckle. "And I am not any of those things, tuna though..I 'ave not 'ad that in some time - I will try it next time I come 'ere."

Character avatar

"Well it is kinda weird and..its.... hilarious. Shooting bodies at someone can be surprisingly effective...."

He answers, casually turning around to grab the sandwich his copy fetched in the meantime.

"Heck i think the last dude i fought... i had him dog pilled in a bunch of copies... i mean it wasn't that effective but still... Anyways.. what kind of food did you try already?"

Character avatar

She chuckles and shakes her head at his lamentations, shooting bodies as a superpower, what on earth will the shards come up with next. She had heard of strange powers before but shooting bodies was certainly a new one, though perhaps it was slightly better than acidic vomit spray..

"Well..as long as it worked for you I suppose zat is ze important thing no?" She says with a sympathetic shrug, smiling a little again as she continued. "Ahh..I 'ave tried ze...bagels? I do not think zey are quite the food for me..I pity ze poor cleaner that had to do the table after, though I did try my best to clean up what I could."

"I 'ave also tried ze uhh...I think they were called 'parcels' ? Little pastries with lamb inside of them."

Character avatar

Refraction Dreamer 6 months ago

"Hmm yeah i guess those are great too..well at least the bagels... "

"So... now with food talk....which is getting stale, how do you spend your free time?"

Refraction asked, realizing how increasingly bored and awkward he gets... as he attempts to hold a more or less civil conversation without being an asshole or anything like that.. Increasingly wondering if he may have lost something important... and which of the other 4 copies could be in possession of 'good conversation skills'.