Watching the crowds

Created by
Koishi
on Friday, 07-Jul-2023 17:58:24 UTC

Character avatar

Hydra Koishi 10 months ago

Caitl- Hydra now, was people watching. Having squeezed themselves underneath a car and watching the occasional person pass by on the sidewalk... If not particularly stealthily, given that rubbery snake-adjacent heads occasionally poked out and upwards slightly like periscopes. As well as the occasional excited babbling from multiple voices as the others got too excited to remember to think, rather than speak.

It was kind of nice, in a way that would have horrified them the way they had been before the Split. Though conversation soon turned to if they should pick a new hiding spot or head back home and order take-out. It was starting to get dark.

Character avatar

Atlas limbo 10 months ago

7:33 PM.

As the sky begins to shift into cascading hues of orange and purple and pink, and the back-streets get less and less foot traffic, the mutant might spot the most curious sight- a woman, in simple camo cargo pants, black combat boots, white tank-top and sports bra, and a metal face contorted into an almost demonic visage- the immediate impression would be that it was a mask, but no, it's definitely melded into her skin. She has her long black hair tied into a ponytail.

She has her hands stuffed into her pockets as she casually strolls down the sidewalk, all the confidence in the world in each step. The few scatterings of people left on the streets in this neighborhood at this hour give her a wide berth as she marches.

Character avatar

''Cool mask, seven o' clock.'' One of Hydra whispers. ''We can see through your eyes too, dumbass.'' ''She has nice hair. I wish we still had hair.'' ''I wish you shut up for once.'' ''

Coming to a consensus that yes, cool weird mask lady was cool, they start to crawl from underside of the car to another. Dashing along the ground like they're imitating some sort of lizard. Using how the cape was drawing all the attention from what few people were still around to sneak after her. And when those ran out, dashing into an alley when they hoped people weren't looking.

Character avatar

Atlas turns around a corner, stepping into an alleyway, searching for- and finding- a fire escape ladder.

She drags a garbage bin underneath, and climbs on top. With a solid jump, she grabs onto the ladder, hauling herself up. She climbs up the staircase up to the roof, boots making heavy metallic thuds with each step of the way up, the entire skeletal structure of the fire escape shuddering slightly, but holding firm.

Character avatar

They watch her climb up. Five heads horizontally stacked as they hang halfway around the corner.

Seeing her near the top, they skitter over to the fire escape as well. Slowly starting to regain their proper humanoid-ish form Starting to climb up, then cringing as it creaks a bit under their weight. Panicking, then letting go to try and awkwardly squeeze themselves between the garbage bin and the wall. Ending up making more noise in the process.

Character avatar

A foot steps onto the rooftop, then Atlas pauses, head snapping over to glance over her shoulder.

Beneath her pants, metal climbs up her legs, ending just below the thighs. She steps off the roof, falling harder than a normal person would, and landing on the garbage bin, metal screeching as she crushes through the lid, completely unharmed, the metal in her legs absorbing the fall.

She clambers out of the garbage bin, feet back on asphalt. The tusked metal jaw of her mask-face-whatever twitches slightly, almost like a mouth. "What the fuck?" She rumbles, knowing something is off, but not having any ideas as to exactly who, what, or where she heard it.

Character avatar

Hydra tries veeery hard not to make a noise. Their little cry of surprise having been hidden by the screeching of metal. Then they're betrayed by the wheels on the garbage bin as Atlas gets out. Briefly being squished and turned into a stress toy before falling to the floor with a thud. And in a panic, lets their arms return to tentacles to try and pull it back using the suckers on them.

Character avatar

Metal crawls up the rest of her body, up from her fingertips, up her arms, spreading over her shoulders, and going up her neck to meet with the 'mask', and flowing down her torso.

She grabs the side of the garbage bin, clawed metal digits digging into the cheaper metal of the garbage bin, and shoving it away, letting out a grunt of effort, to get a better look at what exactly is making all these weird noises.

Character avatar

There's a series of cries of distress as the bin is shoved away... and the cape is dragged along with it. Letting go partway through and ending up rolling on the floor a bit before coming to a stop.

''Umm... Hi?'' One of the serpentine heads on the mutated cape offers awkwardly. Being dressed... very minimally over off-white skin that gradiented to purple as it went to their limbs. All of the five total heads on them looking very sheepish. Tentacle arms with suckers shifting to sloooowly form hands and the beginnings of fingers again.

Character avatar

"Hhhhhhuh. I was not expecting a freak," Atlas drawls, her voice rich with a Greek accent.

She reels her hand back, having left a sizeable hand-shaped dent in the bin, and casually scratching at the side of her neck, sharp metal screeching as it scrapes against other metal.

"What are you supposed to be? Calamari? Κορίτσι?"

Character avatar

''Rude!'' ''We're not a freak.'' ''We kind of are...'' ''Koriti?'' ''Shut your mouth!'' Come some immediate protests from various sources. All with the same voice. The mutated cape rising to their feet with an odd fluidity to their limbs. ''We.'' They pause for dramatic effect. ''Are a person. That's what we are.'' All five heads nod in agreement with the statement.

Character avatar

"Persons don't have multiple heads. Or tentacles," she grunts. The metal falls down her body, crawling back in reverse to turn her back to flesh, leaving only her metal face. "Then what are you doing stalking me, freak."

Character avatar

''We're still a person.'' They huff, a bit annoyed. ''And you looked interesting, that's all. You have a really cool mask. You know that?'' They ask, poking Atlas' mask with said now half-tentacle, half-hand. ''So we wanted to know what you were doing!''

Character avatar

Atlas tightly grabs Hydra's 'wrist' before she can reel her hand away. "It's not a mask," she grumbles. "No touchy." She lets go.

"I don't owe you what I was doing. But luckily for you, I'm the most damn interesting person in the city, now that I'm settled in."

Character avatar

The cape's wrist feels squishy. More like rubber than a normal ass hand.

''Aww... But it's so cool...'' One of the heads mutters in disappointment, before bouncing back. ''And really now? What do you like, do then, miss tall, cool and metal?'' They tilt their head in curiousity like a bird would. ''Besides be rude to people who don't look like people.'' Another head adds.

Character avatar

"Apparently find weirdo octopus-girls hiding behind dumpsters," she snorts.

"What's your name, then, freaky."

Character avatar

They chuckle a bit. ''Guess so.'' ''And we've been thinking of Hydra because well...'' A gesture at the five heads staring at her. ''Probably will go with that. So you can call my Hydra instead of variations of 'freak'. Alright? And in our defense, you were kind of spooky, and the fire escape made too much noise, so we had to hide somewhere...''

Character avatar

"You name yourself after a monster and ask not to be called a freak?" She muses. "I mean your real name. Unless you don't have one of those. I guess. What, are you a sad orphan or something?"

Character avatar

''Names are hard, okay? And apparantly tons of capes do it.'' They huff, annoyed that they were back with the 'freak' moniker. ''How about I start calling you 'tin can' or something dumb like that, huh? I bet you'd love it, going by how easily you toss out insults.''

Character avatar

Atlas chortles. "You're real cute, φρικιαστικό," she drawls.

The metal in her face begins to recede, the demonic visage 'melting' back into a normal-looking face, until the makeshift mask is gone entirely. She's smirking. "If you're going to insult me at least use one that makes sense. Tin can just sucks."

Character avatar

They groan. Shaking their heads. ''That was the point, and-'' A sigh. ''Nevermind. If you want our name from before... all this, we want yours first. Deal?''

Character avatar

"Alex. If you want what I was doing, you got to pay me for it. I accept cigarettes and booze for payment."

Character avatar

''We were Caitlyn before the Split.'' They admit after a moment. Caught up in a memory, then collectively shaking their heads to dispel it.

They hold up a hand to ask for a moment, then turn around. ''Did we bring our wallets?'' ''It was on the dresser last I remember.'' ''You know that we can check our pockets, right?'' ''Oh.'' The pockets of their not so covering outfit are checked, and come up empty sans phone. Their whole body quite literally sagging in disappointment as they let out a sigh.

''Well uhh... We're sorry, but we didn't bring our wallet to buy you some.'' The mutated cape admits as they turn back to her. ''We don't always bring it since it can feel really bulky and uncomfortable in some positions...''

Character avatar

"You'd think five heads would equate to five brains, huh," she snorts.

"That's fine. You're dressed like a stripper so I'd imagine you could figure out another way to get easy money... or shoplift. I don't care, do what you want, but my motto in life is to never do anything unless there's a fat wad of cash involved," she coos, lips curling to reveal a bit of a shark-like grin.

Character avatar

They cover their nonexistent chest with their arms. Feeling self conscious. ''We aren't strippers! Clothes get really restrictive for us, but people stare and complain if we aren't wearing anything. And it's not like people like the way we look anyway.'' Caitlyn complains. Getting muttered agreements from the other heads.

They did have a job that was earning them money, but the whole 'did not bring their wallet' issue was making that hard to use here. Not without opening them up to a whole new round of teasing by inviting Alex home with them, anyway.

Character avatar

"Cool story. Still dressed like a stripper, though, so..." Alex coos.

"Shit, for real, though?" She mutters something in Greek to herself. "Cute girl in a skimpy dress? People pay good money for that shit all the time." She scratches the side of her neck. "Maybe you just haven't found the right strip-club or something..."

Character avatar

Their cheeks light up with a vibrant purple hue. Averting their gazes from Alex in embarassment. Their voices coming out soft. ''None of our old shirts still fit, okay? We need pretty much the whole back open just to make it work without tearing. And... And we can't deal with lots of people staring anyway. Even if people were okay with how we look. Especially if they would make 'requests' for our looks.''

Character avatar

She shifts her weight a little between her feet. She stuffs a hand in a pocket, fishing out a small steel marble, holding it between her fingers. "I dunno, then. Put on a poncho or something. Wear a bedsheet like a ghost on Halloween. Lot of options."

Deleted post

Character avatar

Stuff like that would keep most of us in the dark. We'd be exposing ourselves even more just to see.'' They argue, before letting out a sigh. ''It's not fair. You look good, both with and without your powers, and we want to, too. But we look like this and clothes just... don't work.''

Character avatar

She tosses up the marble, catching it midair. "Life sure is a bitch, huh," she says. She leans against the dumpster, now twirling the marble between her fingers. "So you gonna mope about it all day? Or you gonna say 'fuck it, we ball'?"

Koishi 10 months ago

They blink in unison. ''What do you mean, 'fuck it, we ball'?''

Character avatar

"Fucking... spit in the world's face, or something. Carve your place in the world with force if you have to. Refuse to accept shit just sitting down."

Character avatar

''Right. We can do that. Show people that we have a right to be here too! We'll... We will...'' Hydra's enthusiasm falters as none of them actually manage to come up with a way to actually do that. The tentacles holding their additional heads writhing slightly in frustration. ''Give us a second. We'll figure something out.''

Character avatar

Atlas chuckles to herself. "Χέσε μας, you're hopeless. Stand up for yourself better, or steal shit, or push losers into a river."

Character avatar

''We're trying!'' They protest, pouting. At least the one head that looked humanoid was. ''And if you're so high and mighty about it, what do you do then for it?'' Hydra demands.

Character avatar

Alex's lips curl into a toothy grin. "Bashing fucker's faces in with a fistful of steel. It's therapeutic. And I get money for it. Basic win-win situation, babe."

Character avatar

Hydra Koishi 9 months ago

''Hmm... Well, we can't punch with steel, but we have our jaws!'' They declare, grinning as well to reveal sharp teeth on each mouth/maw. Grinning ''That works too, right? How do you get paid for it though? We've been continuing Caitlyn's day job from home so far.''

Character avatar

Atlas limbo 9 months ago

Alex's head tilts in a subtle nod. "That'll do. You never heard of mercenary work or bounty hunting? People will pay you to rough up or catch bastards for them. I've been doing it for years. Pay is good."

Character avatar

''She... We, were very focused on other stuff. Cape stuff was never a priority. It didn't really occur to us.'' Hydra admits. Shrugging. ''We can probably do it. We don't have to worry about being hurt for it at least. Where did you like, find the people who would pay you for it though?''

A pause. ''Actually. Could you introduce us, maybe?''

Character avatar

Atlas limbo 9 months ago

"I'm a little in-between jobs, right now," she hums. "So I'm not really working for anyone. For times like this, I just chase bounties. But those are easy. You just look up who's wanted, then drag them to whoever has the bounty set."

Character avatar

A series of slow nods before they decide to just go for asking the first thought they all had. ''Can we come with you when you go for another bounty then?''

Character avatar

Atlas limbo 9 months ago

"No." The answer is immediate.

She pauses, glancing away for a moment, gears churning in her head.

"... Actually, yes, you can. If I get something in exchange for it. I like to work alone, and I'm not a charity." She raises an eyebrow, smirking.

Character avatar

''Well. We could just stay back and watch how you go about it maybe... We still don't really have anything to give you though. Except I guess if you wanted...'' Their cheeks flush purple once more, looking away. They had called them cute earlier. ''Nevermind.''

Character avatar

Atlas limbo 9 months ago

"Wanted what?" She blinks, not catching it. "... Okay. Whatever. You can just owe me a favor I guess." She shrugs her shoulders.

Character avatar

''Oh...'' ''You didn't mean...'' ''Even with saying we were-'' A hand shuts that last head up before it could finish their sentence. ''A favor is good.'' They reply with a double thumbs up. Still a bit flustered.

Character avatar

Atlas limbo 9 months ago

Alex snorts. "Even without the mutant bits you're still a weirdo, huh," she muses. "Just stay out of the way and I won't be pissed off. Sounds easy enough, right."

Character avatar

They huff. ''We aren't weird because of something you said. But yes, that sounds easy.'' A nod.

Character avatar

Atlas limbo 9 months ago

"I didn't say shit, Rapunzel." She turns away, clambering back onto the dumpster, leaping to grab and haul herself onto the fire escape.

"You coming or what."

Character avatar

''We meant what you said earlier.'' They mutter, but move to follow her. Movements inhumanly fluid as they climb up onto the dumpster. The metal groaning under Hydra's weight just as before when following Atlas onto the fire escape.

Character avatar

Atlas limbo 9 months ago

Alex spins on her heel to glance at Hydra, quirking an eyebrow. "What do you mean what I said earlier?" She huffs, sounding a mix between genuine confusion and irritation. "I said a lot of things earlier. Dating way back when I was born, even. Narrow it down some, shit." She shakes her head, walking onward again, balancing along the rooftop's edge.

Character avatar

''You complimented the way we looked.'' ''We aren't cute.'' ''It doesn't make sense.'' ''People hate us.'' Four out of five mutter. Moving along up the steps.

''We don't get it. And then one of us suggested something weird when you talked about wanting something from us.'' They explain. Making their way up onto the roof as well. They needed to watch less romance shows, it seems.

Character avatar

Atlas limbo 9 months ago

She stumbles, but just as quickly catches her footing again. She whips around to face Hydra.

"I was just saying it how it is, alright?" Alex snaps, sudden tenseness in her tone. Defensive, almost. "Stating a fact doesn't mean anything like that. It wasn't a compliment. Me saying puppies are cute is just a fact. Same thing." It wasn't, in fact, the same thing.

Character avatar

Hydra pauses. The constant slight motions of their additional heads stopping as well. ''You do know that that's not the same, right?'' ''Puppies are made to be cute.'' ''Saying it to a person is a compliment.'' ''Why are we accepting this anyway?'' ''Shush, you party pooper.''