A Friendly Invitation

Created by
Lightning
on Sunday, 27-Aug-2023 23:10:27 UTC

Character avatar

Sovereign Lightning 8 months ago

"Yeah, the cape's leaving now. Headed this way... Yes sir... Yeah, I can take care of it."

A young man in trendy clothes puts his cellphone in his pocket and turns back to his cart. Amongst the various pop-culture referencing trinkets and cd's bearing the music of obscure artists is an empty cd case. Empty, save for the note hidden within, prewritten after the cape in question was spotted entering the PRT HQ.

He holds it close, keeping it away from the occasional passerby perusing his wares. This particular item wasn't meant for any of them, but instead, for the cape growing ever closer to his little section of the sidewalk.

Character avatar

Mechakoloss Dee 8 months ago

The tall woman exited the PRT headquarters with a bit of speed. Bureaucrats like that had always set her skin crawling. Leaving her jamming her hands in the pockets of her black leather jacket and leaning into her pace. Like her whole body wanted nothing more than to physically get away from that building.

Around her the crowd moved to step out of her way. The mask and the mane of hair enough to make people second guess the stranger. Which left the sidewalk mostly empty when she did pass by the young man hauking CDs to the passersby. Barely sparing him a glance as her heavy boots carried her forward.

Character avatar

"Hey, you're a cape, aren't ya?" The young man speaks up as soon as she's near. "I've got just the thing for ya," he continues on without waiting for a response while holding out a particular CD case. "Free of charge, I promise you'll like what's inside."

Character avatar

[Pilot, someone is offering you a CD.]

The woman seemed to startle out of a bit of a haze and he head snapped in the direction of the young man speaking to her. Her mask regarding him with little to no visible emotion. A moment later she'd just hold out her hand for the case and flip it over to look over the song list.

"I doubt that you're selling what I'm into.."

Character avatar

The text on the back lists mishmash of songs from different well-known bands and styles. The songs definitely don't seem to fit together in any noticeable way.

The young man grins and shrugs his shoulders. "Who knows, there's a lot more for sale besides what I've got here. Take that with ya," he gestures to the case in her hands, "and check it out. Ya might like it more than you think."

Character avatar

"Eh, first rule to caping. Don't carry credit cards or anything like that on you." "I've only got a few bucks in cash, so I'll pass on shopping."

She'd shrug and tuck the CD case into her pocket. Not having any reason to open it here.

"I appreciate the gift kid. Keep your nose clean alright?"

Character avatar

His grins widely at her. "Hey, hey, I hear ya. If you do ever come by with your card or some more cash, hit me up. Stay safe out there." He winks, then turns his attention away from the cape and back to his cart. He seems to be organizing the various items and straightening out his displays.

Character avatar

Mechakoloss would give him a nod then start walking away once more. Feeling a little bit better thanks to the kindness of a stranger. Perhaps the Midwest was a bit more friendly than the west coast. It certainly hadn't felt that way so far, but things might be looking up.

[Pilot. You should check the case for any traps.]

(Traps?)

[If the case was to be gifted to any cape, it may contain a tracking device of some kind.]

(That is... good thinking Bear. Let's just..)

The woman would flip the case out of her pocket, about a block away, and cracked it open to examine the contents.

Character avatar

Sovereign Lightning 8 months ago (edited 8 months ago)

The case opens without resistance. Nothing out of the ordinary happens, and if one were to look inside, they would find a CD, as expected, as well as a folded piece of paper.

Once unfolded, the paper looks instead to be a short letter. It reads:

‘Mechakoloss,

Welcome to the parahuman scene of the city of Denver. I would like to extend to you an invitation. A meeting, and perhaps the beginnings of a fruitful business relationship, if not a friendship, one might call it. The location is La Corte Regale. It has long been a neutral location for those of our standing to meet. If you find that you are interested, you may find it on Arapahoe Street, just opposite 16th Street Mall. You may enter through the front, however there is also a rear entrance for the more discerning customer. There is no need to call ahead, the staff will know to expect you.

To new opportunities, Sovereign’

Character avatar

She read the note once, twice, then a third time, before crumpling it up in her hand and pocketing the paper. There hadn't even been an actual CD in the case. What a pain. First the Protectorate had hounded her until she'd taken up their ask for a meeting and now this?

(How far am I from the location mentioned on the note?)

[If we catch the bus departing in three minutes we will arrive by the half hour, Pilot.]

"There go my plans for getting lunch." Mechakoloss grumbled and began to walk towards the bus stop. Her boots heavy against the pavement.

Mechakoloss didn't bother going around the back of the building. If the place was being watched she didn't care about hiding. Nothing she did was subtle so why bother trying? No, after stepping off the bus and walking down along the street she'd find herself pushing through the front door of La Corte Regale. Her bulky frame difficult to miss.

Character avatar

The interior of the restaurant is somewhat dimly lit. Not enough to hamper vision, however. The decor exudes the feel of wealth and class, and the scent of fine Italian cuisine wafts through the air.

“Welcome, ma’am. A table has been prepared for you in the Venetian Room. If you would like to join us for lunch, but your mask does not allow you to eat, we have a selection of masquerade masks that you may choose from- all unused -as well as a private room to change masks. If you would rather not, we may prepare a dish to go, of your choice.” A young lady in a fine maitre’d tuxedo greets her. “Ah, and before I forget, payment for whatever you order has already been covered.”

Character avatar

She was surprised by the class of the venue, normally when one pictured a villainous organization's neutral grounds it was more back alley than this. But she wasn't going to complain about a free lunch. Simply shaking her head at the offer of a mask.

"Bottom part is magnetic, I'm good to go."

"If you could have some water brought to the table I'd appreciate it."

Character avatar

“Of course ma’am. Water and bread will be brought to your table in just a moment.” She leads them through a doorway, beyond which is a room large enough to comfortably seat a dozen. At the moment, it only has a table large enough for two. The seats are particularly nice- well cushioned, made of carved wood, detailed with gold.

“Please feel free to take a seat. Your host is just now arri-“

The door opening once more cuts the girl off. “Thank you, Lucille, I will take it from here.” The smooth baritone voice comes from a man of stately stature. He wears a well-kept vintage suit and tie with accompanying vest. His mask appears to be solid gold, covering his entire face, with squared eyes and an almost bird-like ridge down the center. On his head is a short top-hat, and in his hand is a staff that comes up to his shoulders, topped in golden ornamentation.

Character avatar

"Oh that's obnoxious." Mechakoloss muttered to herself as she got a look at the man decked out in gold. The appearance of someone who wanted to be taken seriously on account of their wealth with absolutely no substance or personality behind it. At least she could drive up his tab without any guilt.

Dropping down into one of the cushioned seats, the leather clad cape reached up and detached the bear like muzzle of her mask. Showing that it was attached with strong magnets that allowed her to reveal her jaw. The chain wrapped around her waist clinked ominously as she lounged.

"So, you've got me here, what do you need big guy?"

Character avatar

He takes a seat opposite of her, carefully bracing his staff against the back of the chair, clasping his hands together and leaning back in a way that’s reminiscent of a Bond villain.

“Right to the point, I see. Very well. I am Sovereign, lord of The Court. I have chosen to invite you here for a handful of reasons. The first, is that of simple curiosity. A parahuman does not live for as long as I unless they stay well informed of their peers.”

“The second reason is to ascertain just where you stand in our little game of cops and robbers we enjoy in this city. The remaining reasons will be contingent upon your response to the second.” His manner of speaking holds the tells of experience and professional refinement.

Character avatar

That refinement seemed to be rubbing Mechakoloss the wrong way, going by her frown that just seemed to grow the longer he talked. Though as he spoke the woman would silently reach out to her partner.

(What's on file for this Sovereign guy?)

[Gravity manipulator. Suspected head of The Court. A local criminal organization that operates in the Denver area.]

(Of course, I get called in once by the feds and now the local mafia wants a word.)

Clearing her throat she'd lean forward in her seat and tap the table.

"Mind if I order first before we get too deep into whatever questions you've got lined up?"

Character avatar

“Please do. The chefs here are quite talented.” He snaps his fingers twice and the door opens, followed by a young man entering with a notepad.

“As for questions, if you have any of your own, please do not be afraid to ask. This is an exchange between friends, not an interrogation.”

Character avatar

She'd order whatever was most expensive on the menu, not the pickiest eater in the world. Figuring that there wasn't much of a shot she'd be able to eat in a place this nice again any time soon. Then while they watched the young man exit with the orders taken she'd pour herself some water.

"Any questions I have can wait for now."

"You've got your pitch, might as well try to wow me."

Character avatar

Sovereign places his own order just after her, not having to check the menu.

“The PRT does a respectable job on the surface, keeping the public assuaged and dealing with the various threats that crop up like weeds over the years. However, they have neither the reach nor the ability to truly maintain order in a city of this size. That is where the Court steps in. Unlike the common two-bit thug one may be accosted by in the streets, we hold ourselves to a higher standard. Counterfeits, forgeries, smuggling, asset protection. These are but a few of the services we offer. We aim to control the lesser villains of this city by providing- or denying -access to these services. And when that fails, we remove those that would destabilize the region through force.”

He pauses for a moment. “As for where you come in, the Court always has room for aspiring parahumans. However, I will not attempt to force you to join, nor will I coerce you in any way. I value loyalty more than temporary strength. Simply keep within the unwritten rules, do not cause undue chaos, and our services will remain open to you. Even if you join the side of the heroes.”

Character avatar

"I suppose that leaves me open to ask, what do you think I want? What do you think I'm going to do or am capable of?"

She asked as she sipped the water. Trusting the truce and this man's ego to keep things from going south.

"I'm not even centralized in Denver, though I can get here quick enough if I need to."

Character avatar

Sovereign cocks his head ever so slightly to the side, studying the cape in front of him. "Hmm... What do I think you want?" One hand comes up to cup his chin.

"To live. To survive and thrive in a crippled society beset by monsters both man and not. Unfortunately, a single, short meeting and a PHO page bereft of any particularly useful information precludes the possibility of a more profound reading." He clasps his hands back together, leaning forward.

"As for what I believe you are going to do... Attempt to find a niche for yourself in society, whether here or not. Perhaps build up a base of power. Some say your mech is a projection of sorts. Others say you are a tinker. If the former, you are strong in your own right, and potentially a valuable part of whichever segment of society you choose to join. If the later, I believe there are relatively few limits to what you will eventually be capable of, provided you have the materials needed to sate your power. Materials that I can provide."

Character avatar

"Well, those are some pretty generic answers. Glad to know you're just recruiting folks right off the street without interviewing them or vetting their powers. That I create a "mech" is pretty vague. And I wouldn't be the first cape to have lied about their powers online to throw off the scent of people who might get too curious."

The bulky woman spun her glass with her fingers, letting it wobble but not tipping it over.

"I'll make this one pretty simple, it's basically the same answer I gave the Protectorate. I'm not interested. In your game, in your rules. I'm going to do my own thing, keep people safe where I can and keep my community free of any dangerous elements. Luckily for you and your lackeys, I'm not interested in operating in the Downtown area unless I have to. Too much mess."

"You come after me I will respond, painfully. If you are polite, I'll be polite. Basically, don't poke the bear and you won't have to worry about being mauled."

Character avatar

For the first time, Sovereign breaks from his regal demeanor and lets out a short laugh. As he begins to speak, his voice has lost a degree of its refinement, instead taking on a hint of amusement.

"You aren't wrong. My answers are generic because there is little information available on you. And the option of recruitment was always just that, an option. My earlier comments were the truth. The primary reason I invited you here was to sate my own curiosity. You are a new face in the city, one with little information attached to you. This meeting has led me to know far more than what I did before it began, so it's purpose was met."

He touches the side of his mask and a slight click echoes out. The bottom half of the mask falls away into his hand, revealing a short, slightly graying beard adorning a slight smile.

"The plans you state for your near future do not clash with my own, so we have no quarrel. If you are in need of the Court's services now or in the future, you may message or call the number here." He pulls a business card out of his breast pocket. "The price is monetary, nothing more. There are no strings attached to any purchase of materials, weapons, fake ID's, or just about anything else you could possibly desire."

As if it were timed, the door opens as Sovereign finishes speaking, the waiter walking in with two plates of food.

Character avatar

"I'm not the biggest fan of being open about who I am or what I can do. Draws unwanted attention." She muttered, centering her plate. The woman seemed to be about to say something else when she paused.

[Pilot, you did not get the salmon.]

(I was grabbing whatever was most expensive on the menu.)

[But you are wearing the bear mask, you should-]

(You're the one who decided to name itself Bear, not me. I'm going to enjoy my steak. Besides, a grizzly wouldn't turn this down if they found one in the wild.)

To Sovereign it would seem as if the woman's train of thought had derailed and it took her a moment to restart. Scooping up her fork and knife, then digging into her food.

"I'm pretty self reliant, funds, materials, housing. I don't think there's anything I need that's worth getting caught up in the middle of something illegal."

Character avatar

He nods, watching the girl's actions closely while carefully swirling his pasta around a fork. "A respectable state of being." He turns his attention to his dish.

"Not all I've met wish to be involved to even the slightest degree with my Court. It is regrettable, but I will not begrudge them- or you- of that choice. Just understand that the offer remains. Even the most capable may need a helping hand here and there."

He takes a bite once he finishes, seemingly savoring the flavor of the pasta.

Character avatar

"The issue is I can't ever take you up on that. If I do I'm branded, and I'm very interested in remaining a neutral party."

The woman would point with her fork and give it a small spin.

"I've done the dance, both sides agree that it's just a little favor here or there. Nothing ever needs to be repaid. But if you take a favor from the other side then you're betraying them. Then it becomes a tug of war with your life as the rope. Not interested in that happening again. Already lost plenty last time."

"So unfortunately, so as not to be branded as "one of yours" I'm going to have to decline the offer. Even if it's genuine and quite generous."

Character avatar

Sovereign shakes his head, frowning for the first time. "It truly is a shame. This little game of cops and robbers so rarely allows for parahumans of your persuasion. So many mark those on the other side of the coin as their mortal enemies, seeing neither the necessity of their opposites who play by the rules, nor the difference between their opposites and those who break said rules."

He takes another bite of his pasta.

"Very well. I said I would not attempt to coerce you, and you seem to have a good enough head on your shoulders to know not to cause chaos in the city. Let us enjoy this meal as friendly acquaintances, as opposed to business partners."

Character avatar

"In the end, I'm strong enough to maintain my stance. You could see me as a sort of referee. When either side starts going too far and start really hurting people, that's when I'm bound to step in. You call it a game, and that's what it should be. Nothing more. But sometimes people take things too far and heroes and villains blur together into monsters."

"I do enjoy hurting monsters. Especially bastards that hurt kids."

The woman had a vicious grin as she took a bite of her steak.

"But yeah, no intentions of causing chaos. Hell, if I can avoid using my power I'll do so as much as possible. Things get messy when I do."

Character avatar

At this point, Sovereign is openly smiling, though the smile is still restrained to a polite degree.

"I do believe we may be somewhat more similar than you may have originally expected. I've cultivated my Court to be something of a referee in this city as well. No one benefits from such monsters as the Fallen or those who would otherwise cause instability in society. I simply have taken a more proactive approach."

He takes a deep sip from his glass of water.

"Ah, yes, I have a similar issue with my own power, as shakers often do. Nothing like flipping gravity on its head to turn a city street into a mess."

Character avatar

"I'm sure the property damage that you have to subtly pay for is quite a pain."

The woman joked. Not commenting on how some loose debris were a fraction of her issue.

"By the way, once I'm out of here you've got to compliment the chef. This is probably the second best stake I've had in my life. Not quite the best, nothing beats home cooked, but very close."

Character avatar

“I will be sure to. Louis will be quite flattered. On that topic, please feel free to use the restaurant if you ever need a safe place to meet with another cape.”

“While I and the Court use it often, it is not, in truth, one of our own holdings, and amongst the general cape community, coming here is not a signifier of one’s allegiances. Also, meetings between capes have their meals discounted by half, as it helps promote the use of this neutral area.”

Character avatar

"Not your place then huh? Interesting." Mecha reached up under her mask and rubbed at the right side of her face. The motion not revealing much more than the bottom portion of her nose.

"I think I'm certainly going to have to come back just for the food."

"Speaking of neutral areas, are there any more in town? Or individuals I should keep an eye out for that are concerning and or helpful?"

Character avatar

Sovereign shakes his head in the negative. "No, there is nowhere else in the city that can be considered properly neutral. Perhaps given more time, additional locations will arise. There will certainly be a greater need for them with the influx of new parahumans these past few weeks."

"As for individuals of interest, I will give you a few to keep an eye out for for free. On the side of the heroes, you have the Protectorate captain, Zipdash. She is an established tinker with a handful of years of experience on her side. Should you come into conflict with the law, she will be a major threat. At her side is a new transfer to the city, Cylynx. I've heard tell that she has already been out building her heroic reputation in the short time she's been here."

"On the other side, there are a number of minor independent villains. One of the more known faces in the city is that of Starving Artist. The child is, as seems to be common here, also a tinker. Her focus, however, seems to be in the creation of drugs and their like. She is generally harmless so long as you do not give her reason to fight. Less benign is the girl known as Julia Hendricks. My men believe her to be a type of master, potentially with control over humans. She has been seen commanding a police officer who had recently gone missing. Until the mechanics of her power are better understood, I would avoid that one."

Character avatar

"Oh, her, yeah she is definitely a master. Not sure what the limits are but I was able to capture her and get her into police custody with little fuss. Though she did have a racoon absolutely ruin my last jacket."

Mechakoloss grabbed a bit of bread and used it to clean up her plate, then popped it in her mouth.

"She's just a kid though. Needs some professional help. I think she could come around though."

Character avatar

"Oh, you've already encountered the girl? And confirmed her status as a master? Inviting you here today truly was fortuitous."

He pauses to pull out another business card.

"If you happen to encounter the girl once more and you judge her to be stable, pass on this card to her, would you?"

Character avatar

"I can't make any promises." She replied, scanning the card before tucking it away in her jacket pocket.

Food finished, she'd grab the lower half of her mask and slot it into place. The magnets connecting with a solid 'Click' when she let go.

"Well, this has been lovely, but I've got places to be. Thanks for the meal."

Character avatar

Sovereign remains seated, calmly sipping his glass of water.

"Yes, while it is unfortunate you do not wish for any form of relation with my Court, your company was certainly not disagreeable."

He raises his glass to her with a minute nod. "Good day, Mechakoloss."

Dee 8 months ago

[END THREAD]