Runnin' With the Devil

Created by
unknownmercury
on Monday, 21-Aug-2023 02:23:29 UTC

Character avatar

Iron Maiden unknownmercury 8 months ago

Anetta crosses her arms as she tries to enjoy the music, but it's... very hard. The record shop is not very big, and the bands being showcased aren't the best. They're mostly small local bands, mostly teens trying to make it big.

And some of them don't know the difference between grunge and metal. Sure, she likes Nirvana as much as anyone, but the texture is completely different, and the messaging is off. She wants to bitch, but there's nobody here to bitch at.

As "Black Blood Dementia" steps up and introduces themselves, she looks around, scanning the crowd. She's hardly interested in this trite cliché of metal. They're the fourth band with the word Dementia, the fifth with Blood, and every band tonight has had the word Black in their name tonight.

She pauses as she sees a familiar face. Her lip curls back, and she starts shoving her way through the half-asleep moshers to approach the shorter blonde. As the band starts up their song "Black Lamb's Blood," she reaches out and grabs her arm. "What the fuck are you doing here, Alia?"

Character avatar

Cylynx ZyberLynx 8 months ago

The music tonight wasn't really what Alia listened to, it was actual the furthest thing from her usual. She'd been recommended to get out and experience some of her new city, beyond going on patrols.

The songs rubbed her the wrong way, and lucky for her she could tune out the majority of the songs that were a nightmare. Most of them...

Pulled from her reverie by a hand grabbing her arm; Alia's whole body tensed, her blood flooded with chemicals, her eyes and ears focusing in on the offender. If it had been anybody but Anetta, the hand that she snapped up to would have left a wonderful bruise.

"Anetta!" She relaxed slightly, not letting go of her wrist. The gloom of having to listen to the music switched to righteous anger which gave way to a happy smile.

Character avatar

"Are you following me?" Anetta has to shout to be heard over the music at all. Nobody's at risk of overhearing them. "Because this really doesn't seem like your fucking scene, Alia!" She's a bit incensed that her new so-called nemesis might be staling her. What, like she needs check-ins to make sure she's behaving? Fuck, this is the whole reason you're not supposed to unmask another cape, to avoid situations just like this.

"I swear to fuck, Alia, this is fucked up!"

Character avatar

"No, it isn't my scene!" Alia tugs on her oversized sweater, "You don't have to yell!" Alia barks back, letting go of Anetta and tapping her ear, "I can 'ear you just fine!" She tugged Anetta away from the noise, and the mosh pit where they'd both be likely to hurt somebody.

The bathroom was surprisingly quiet, comparatively at least, which would give them a second. "First of all, I'm not stalking you. Do you think I'd have reacted so badly if I were? Second, or that you'd have noticed me if I didn't want to be?" She shook her head.

Character avatar

She wants to snarl, but Alia's face is so open and devoid of lies that she can't help but believe. She crosses her arms and takes a few deep, slow breaths to calm herself down. "If it isn't your scene, and you're not following me, then what are you doing here?" She glares down at the older woman. "It's fucking uncanny, you just happening to be here on the night that I decide to stop in and see what the local metal scene is like. Atrocious, by the by."

Character avatar

"I was told to, and I quote, Get out and experience the city in a way not related to work so I looked up little events that were happening, and this record store was hosting some bands. I didn't realize there'd be so many people. Or the... Enthusiasm of the bands trying to make up for a lack of practice." She tilts her head slightly, making sure they're alone for the moment. "I've been standing there with my ears pretty much blocking out the crowd and the majority of the music. Hence why you snuck up on me, is your wrist okay?"

Character avatar

"It's fine." She glances down. It'll probably bruise a bit. That's fine. "I thought I'd check out the metal scene here, but... fuck, can't believe I paid fifteen bucks for the cover fee. You wanna get out of here?"

Character avatar

"Fifteen? They told me it was ten." Alia must have gotten a kids rate or something, "Wait is that why the guy asked if my parents knew I was here?!" She squawked indignantly.

"Yes please, I hate it here, it's loud and itchy and there's too many people here for me."

Character avatar

Anetta scoffs and grabs Alia's wrist. "Of course you somehow got a discount." She shakes her head and heads out of the bathroom, making her way for the door and shoving aside anyone who gets in their way.

Once outside, she takes a deep breath of the night air and sighs. "Christ. Was hoping for better."

Character avatar

Cylynx ZyberLynx 8 months ago (edited 8 months ago)

"I don't want a discount if it means they think I'm a kid!" Alia huffs, "I'm just short! And my augments help me with my health." She followed in the wake of Anetta, glaring at the guy at the door when he chuckled at what must have looked like her getting in trouble.

Alia relishes the general outdoor noise, the misery of the bands blocked out by concrete and brick. "That's a nice way to say that sucked." She skipped up to Anetta's side, leaning on her arm as they walked.

Character avatar

Anetta grunts, but doesn't try to shake Alia off. "Can't you just make yourself taller? Fuck, that's what I'd do." She nudges Alia with her elbow, smirking. "You hungry? I didn't have time to eat much before the show, so I'll treat."

Deleted post

Character avatar

Alia repeats Anetta with a grumble, "Just make yourself taller... Hmph, it doesn't work that way for me. My power even comes up bl-No I'm not doing that. It comes up blank."

She grins, "I'm always hungry, carefully what offers you make to the devil you don't know yet. I might drain your ill-gotten coffers."

Character avatar

"No worries, I robbed an armored van after its last pickup of the day a couple days ago, I'm set for cash for the next little while." It's hard to tell if she's joking or not. The deadpan delivery says no, but the slight smile says maybe she's just fucking with the hero.

Deleted post

Character avatar

"One day I'll spend time figuring out your tells so I'll know when you're screwing with me. Today is not that day." Alia rolls her eyes, mentally running through for any reports of the same crime anyway.

Alia can't hide her own smirk as she decides to get back at Anetta, "Picking a girl up at a concert and asking her to dinner. Pretty smooth... So where're you taking me?"

Character avatar

Anetta snickers. "Good luck with that, then." She pauses, glancing down at Alia and blushing a bit. "It's not like that, and you know it. I'm-- I figured you needed to get out, and I definitely did. That's all. We're going to a steak place I like."

Character avatar

"Isn't it?" Alia grins up at her, head still against Anetta's arm. "You saw I have having as bad a time as you, struck up a conversation, and invited me out to di-" Her stomach growls loudly interrupting her teasing, her entire face flushing red. "Steak s-sounds great."

Character avatar

Anetta rolls her eyes. "Nobody should suffer what those bands were doing to metal music. That's all, no special interest in you specifically. That's the problem with heroes, they all think they're the most important thing in the universe." She smirks and bumps Alia. "That was a joke, by the way."

Character avatar

"Right, that's supposed to be music, I keep forgetting." She nods slowly in agreement, shoulders falling as Anetta goes on about Heroes, at least until she clarifies the joke. "As your arch-nemesis I take offense to that! There's plenty out there more important, like being taken out to steak dinner!"

Character avatar

She snorts and heads into the restaurant. "Sure, if you say so." She heads up to the host's stand. "Two, please." She hums and pulls out some cash. "Booth, maybe somewhere a bit quieter." She slides the host a bill, and his eyebrows go up slightly as he not-so-discretely pockets it.

"Of course. It'll be about a ten minute wait for you ladies."

She grunts her acknowledgement and moves to lean against a wall right next to the waiting bench.

Character avatar

"Subtlety, thy name is Anetta." Alia snickers as she leans beside her not!date, "A quiet booth huh? Planning on making a surprise attack while I'm distracted with dinner? Or maybe he's in on it, I'm going to be poisoned!" She dramatically throws an arm over there face and leans against Anetta. "The subterfuge..."

Character avatar

Anetta smirks. "Let's just say they know how to accommodate people here." She shrugs. "This lets us talk business without people eavesdropping, if that's what we want to do." She gingerly wraps an arm around Alia and lets out a soft sigh as she closes her eyes.

"Human contact is nice," she murmurs.

Character avatar

"Ah, you've brought me a den of villainy, will I be sworn to secrecy for anything I overhear?" She giggles, her muscles tensing for a second as Anetta's arm drapes over her before leaning against her side.

"It is, especially in doses that we have control over. You're warm."

Character avatar

"It's not a den of villainy, it's just a place where I like to come to, and they're willing to put you in a quiet booth if you ask nicely." She squeezes. "You're really warm, too. I haven't had a lot of physical contact in a while." She opens her eyes and looks down at Alia.

"This is weird."

Character avatar

Cylynx ZyberLynx 8 months ago (edited 8 months ago)

"Sure just kill my fun." Alia huffs, letting her head thunk against Anetta. "Me either, I have issues with touching. It's nice to be able to meet my guard down." Alia tilts her head back, looking up at Anetta and letting her continue.

"Hmm?"

Character avatar

"Touch issues, yeah..." She sighs and shrugs. "Just... Hugging. You. Is weird. Considering the nature of our relationship." She chuckles. "I may put you in the hospital next week, after this."

Character avatar

"Most people like us probably have touch issues, huh?" Alia closes her eyes and leans her head against Anetta again. "You don't have to it it bothers you, considering..." She was going to make a joke when Anetta said relationship, but thought better of it in the seriousness of the moment. "I'm tough, you'd have to do a lot to put me in the hospital."

Character avatar

Anetta grunts, gives a firm squeeze, and shrugs. "I could probably do it if I wanted to. Really put my mind to it. You're lucky I don't want to." She lets go and steps back as the host waves them over. She follows him quietly through the restaurant to an area with only a few people, and smiles as he puts them in a corner booth.

"So, what does Alia do in her free time?"

Character avatar

Alia slides into the booth, still leaning on Anetta once they're settled. "I'm glad you don't want to, domestics are always the hardest to explain." She smirks at her own joke.

"I read books, watch anime and movies, work on my designs... Alia doesn't really do anything interesting. I'm still getting to know my new coworkers, so there isn't much to do." She looks up at Anetta, "What does Anetta do?"

Character avatar

"Why'd you sit on the same side as me?" Anetta snorts and nudges her. "Psychopath."

She shakes her head. "What the fuck is anime? I go to concerts, read history books, watch horror movies. Nothing too interesting."

Character avatar

Alia looks down at the table and scoots herself to be sitting across from Anetta. "Sorry."

"Anime is animation from Japan, it's a specific style. Some of the older stuff from before superpowers is really creative." She explains, "If all the concerts are like that one, I feel bad for your choice of hobby."

Character avatar

She waves a hand dismissively. "Just wanna be able to talk to you without craning my neck." She shrugs and leans on the table. "So you watch Japanese cartoons. Sure, alright."

A soft, derisive snort escapes her. "No, concerts I go to are usually way fucking better than that. Real mosh pits, real bands, real metal."

Character avatar

"That's fair, wouldn't want to get a crik in your neck. It may take some work to fix, with those bones of steel."

"So a concert for our third date then? Show me what a real one is supposed to be like." She snorts, "Anime isn't that bad "

Character avatar

"Didn't say it was bad. I said sure, alright. I don't get it, but you do you." She shrugs.

"We can go to a concert sometime. Not sure who might be playing in Denver anytime soon, but we can give it a shot."

Character avatar

"I will, but I will also admit that some of it is awful. The fan service is worse than some of the corporate teams out there."

"We'll figure something out!" Alia giggles, "Can't help but notice you didn't deny it was a date." She teases, comfortable with Anetta despite the professional relationship.

Character avatar

She smirks and shrugs. "Going on dates with a hero is prestigious, the opportunity to slowly corrupt them over time. A hero dating a villain? That's bad, that makes the hero and her whole organization come under question. So you're the one getting the short end of the stick.

Character avatar

Alia feigns a gasp, throwing an arm over her face. "I knew I was just a game to you, was what we had not special? Think of the sandwiches we shared!" She opens one eye to stare at Anetta, "A Villain dating a Hero impacts her street cred, makes her look soft. Like she's going to stop purse snatchers." Alia snickers.

Character avatar

"Nah." Anetta shakes her head. "Villains dating heroes is kind of a thing in villain circles. But heroes dating villains, society frowns on that. It's hilarious."

Character avatar

"I guess we'll have to find out, which of us will sway the other to the side of righteousness first!" Alia smiles, propping herself up on one hand while holding the other out to Anetta. "Maybe we'll prove society wrong."

Character avatar

Anetta considers, then nods and takes the hand. "Maybe we will. Or maybe I'll get to drag you down to my level and turn you evil."

Character avatar

"Me, evil? You haven't put up with me long enough if you think that'll happen. Remember how we met? Hero of Justice and all that." She gives Anetta's hand a squeeze. "Does this make us girlfriends?"

Character avatar

"Let's not label it. We can go on these little dates and stuff, and then the next day we can try and knock each other's teeth out. Pretty toxic relationship, actually." She shrugs slightly and moves to rest her hand on the table, still holding Alia's. "That work for you?"

Character avatar

Cylynx ZyberLynx 7 months ago

"Rather abusive, I like my teeth where they are. Try for broken bones instead?" Alia nods, "I'm good with no labels. I'll just tell Zipdash I'm seeing somebody and we don't know what it is yet. Little dates sound good, exchange real numbers for next time? Oh! I can text you when I wake up and annoy you to no end."

Character avatar

Iron Maiden unknownmercury 7 months ago

She scoffs. "Your boss needs to know your relationship status?" She pulls her phone out. "Don't worry about waking me up. If my brain deems it unimportant, I just go right back to sleep."

Character avatar

"My best friend needs to know my relationship status." Alia huffs, getting her own phone out. "If I deem it unimportant I just let half my brain keep sleeping, it's very handy. Unfortunately anybody who has my number is important."

Character avatar

"Your boss is your best friend. That's the saddest goddamn thing I've ever heard." Anetta shakes her head and sends a text to Alia. "You and me, mall date, Friday? I need to get some new shirts, my power can sometimes fuck them up."

Character avatar

"It's not that bad..." Alia pouts, "We've been through a lot together, we go to every endbringer together." She sends a reply back to Anetta, a little smiley face. "Mall date sounds great! I should probably buy some new clothes, I didn't bring a lot down with me."

Character avatar

"Good, that works for me." She smiles a bit and leans her elbows on the table. "I'm going to give you fair warning: I've never dated anyone before. I might be a bit bad at romance."

Character avatar

"I've never dated anybody either, so we can learn as we go. I haven't really had a normal life, I've been a Hero for most of it." Alia smirks back, "Guess we'll see which of us is worse, huh?"

Character avatar

"Sure." Anetta smiles slightly. "I don't mind that. Let's order food?"