Every Reunion is a Type of Heaven

Created by
ZyberLynx
on Monday, 10-Jul-2023 05:32:03 UTC

Character avatar

Cylynx ZyberLynx 10 months ago

There was no way Zipdash didn't know she was coming, likely down to the hour she was supposed to arrive in Denver, but that didn't mean that Cylynx had to be on time. All it took was explaining to her attaché that she knew Zipdash from Devilfish and they hadn't seen each other in over a year, and the appropriate master stranger codes, in order to get a copy of her schedule for the day.

Alia, there was no Cylynx right now, knocked on Memphis' office door with arms full of takeout and walked right in without waiting for an answer. "Pardon the intrusion Miss Booker, but unfortunately I have something that needs your attention and can't wait." Alia had the widest grin on her face as she looked to one of her best friends in the world. "I heard through the grapevine there was a restaurant in town that makes the best chicken alfredo and I need somebody to eat it with."

She walked over to place the food on the table in Memphis' office, turning to face her with tears in her eyes.

Character avatar

Zipdash unknownmercury 10 months ago

Memphis looked up from the paperwork she was doing as there was a knock on the door. Before she could even open her mouth, the door opened, and Alia Long strolled in with hands full of takeout containers. A smile tugged at her lips. "Miss Long. My subordinates normally wait for me to invite them before entering my office." She rolled around the desk, unable to hide her grin any longer. "But I can make an exception for old friends. Come give me a hug, you nerd."

She spread her arms and wrapped them tight around Alia's waist. "How was your trip? How's Devilfish? Captain Dad doing okay? Tell me everything."

Character avatar

Cylynx ZyberLynx 10 months ago

Alia leaned into the hug, squeezing Memphis tight and lifting her new boss off the floor with a high pitched squeal. "I missed you so much! My trip was boring, planes always are. It's good, we had some... stuff happen, it's why I got a transfer. Dad is doing amazing, he's still hard at work. C'mon, we should sit and talk or your chicken alfredo is going to get cold and clumpy."

Character avatar

Zipdash unknownmercury 9 months ago

Memphis squeaked a bit as she was lifted out of her chair, and she kicked her legs a bit feebly as she laughed. "Yes! Put me down, then sit, you goof!" Once she was situated back in her chair, she wheeled back around behind the desk and pulled one of the containers towards herself. "I missed you, too. I'm glad you accepted my offer to come, but..." She sighs and shoves a forkful of delicious into her mouth.

"What happened? Bad stuff?"

Character avatar

Cylynx ZyberLynx 9 months ago

Alia flopped back into one of the other chairs with a sigh, "You only had to call and I would come running. You're one of my best friends, Memphis." The younger tinker looks up at the ceiling, "Everyone in DF missed you, just so you know. Before we get into the heavier stuff."

"There was an attack, some domestic terrorism stuff... Apparently it was some anti-parahuman group from a commune in the middle of nowhere. They took offense to DF growing into such a big cape town."

Character avatar

Memphis blushes a bit at the slight praise, and chews on her food as she thinks. She sets her fork down and leans back in her chair. "Any casualties?" she asks quietly, looking up from the meal to meet Alia's eyes. "I hadn't been made aware... I would have come to help."

Character avatar

"Nobody on our end, a couple of indie heroes got hurt and one villain did something really stupid... But we ran them out of town, passed the information up the chain." She hunched over a little, poking at her food. "I doubt they'd have told you, it isn't like we were calling for help."

Character avatar

She nodded and considered. "Okay. Well, I'm glad your here, regardless of the circumstances that brought you here. I need someone I can trust working close to me, and Retcon honestly scares the shit out of me." She chuckled and took another bite.

"Have you read the dossier on the local scene?"

Character avatar

Alia jumped up with a wide grin, throwing a rough salute to Memphis. "You can count on me! There's plenty of unhinged people up in DF if you recall. She can't intimidate a Hero of Justice!"

The younger cape flopped back into her chair with a shake of her head, "Haven't had a chance, messed up my schedule to come and surprise you."

Character avatar

Memphis nodded. "Well, you should get caught up. We can go over it later once you have. For now, how about I give you the tour of the place? Are you planning to live on base again, or did you want somewhere in the city? I can help you work with realtors for a nice place."

Character avatar

Alia nodded in agreement, "I'm going to live on base again. There's no reason for me not to, and I've gotten used to having a lab nearby." She gestures to the door, "I'm good for a tour whenever you are, I have the dossiers on my tablet and I'll probably go over them tonight after I unpack."

Character avatar

"Sounds good." Memphis closes the lid of the take-out container and navigates around her desk again. "Come on, I'll show you the necessary areas. You already have your badge to get into my office, but we'll make sure they didn't futz something up and you can get into the lab and the living space and everything." She rolls towards the door, which automatically swings open as she approaches it.

Character avatar

"I could see it now the poor catgirl tinker, scratching at the Captain's door at two in the morning because she can't get into the tinker lab. Locked in the communal kitchen, only able to keep her hands busy with cooking." Alia laughs, stuffing her mouth before following Memphis out.

Character avatar

Memphis chuckles and begins leading through the base, showing where the Wards' common space is, then the Protectorate's living area, and finally the ever-important Tinker Nest. "I know you know the rules, but I have to cover them for every new team member, it's SOP.

"Don't touch anything that isn't yours without explicit permission from the owner. Keep your stuff in your space as much as possible. If you have stuff outside your space at the end of your work time, move it to somewhere inside your area. If your experiments might be hazardous -- explosives, acids, pyrotechnics, the like -- then make sure you're using the back room to build and test. Don't leave things in the back room. If you have something volatile that you don't trust to bring out here yet, either disable it if possible or dispose of it properly. We aren't losing valuable tech and hours of research and development because someone thought 'eh, good enough' and put their tinker-tech nitroglycerine on the shelf. Equipment testing is done off-site for insurance purposes. If you have something where the testing is done in stages, you'll have to book out time for each stage. It sucks, but there it is. Collaboration with other Tinkers if fine, but let us know what's going on. Remember the three D's: Document, Document, Document. We want blueprints as much as possible, notes on methods and potential adverse effects, all that jazz.

"Now for the rules specific to Bio-Tinkers. If you need to put someone under the knife, make doubly certain that you've informed myself and the Director ahead of time so we can account for recovery times when making rosters. Don't put something completely experimental inside of somebody other than yourself. We'd prefer you didn't put purely experimental tech inside yourself, either, but we understand that some things just don't work until they're plugged in. Obviously make sure that anyone you're performing surgery on consents to the operation, and, can't stress this enough, that you've informed the people in charge so they know what's happening."

She takes a deep breath. "And I think that's everything. Any questions?"

Character avatar

Alia waved a hand dismissively, having heard this same spiel in about a dozen different ways over the years already. "I know I know, and anything that's too dangerous goes into the red folder. Don't worry, I've been through this a few times now Boss Lady."

She added on with a little more seriousness, eyes flicking to Memphis' legs for a second. "Consent and warnings will be given unless life saving operations need to happen, then I'll just do what I have to and deal with the consequences later. Will I have access to the same suppliers as we did in DF or will there be new ones operating in Denver?"

Character avatar

"Should be more or less the same." She smiles a bit and continues the tour. "Now, Kitchen Rules..."

All in all, it takes about an hour to check the badge at every door that needs it and get introductions out of the way for the new team member to meet the Denver crew. Afterwards, she heads back into her office.